search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > I feel like such a bad person

I lost my baby about three months ago. I found out today that some friends of my husband's are pregnant with their first. I was angry when I found out. Mad that they are pregnant and probably won't have any trouble having a baby and my baby is dead. And I feel terrible. I'm totally jealous of them. That they get to be happy and not worried and they didn't have any trouble getting pregnant. And I know anything could happen and that this is good news and a happy thing, and all I can do is throw a temper tantrum inside my head because she's pregnant and I'm not and I want my baby back.

I hate feeling like this. It's so nasty and makes me feel bad about myself. But I don't know how not to feel jealous and angry.
November 4, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterAnon
I struggle with this sometimes too. I don't like how it feels and I dunno how to not feel that way. I don't think you can necessarily control feelings. Actions, words. . . yes. Emotions, visceral internal reactions? I don't think so.

I hope that when the news settles in, you'll feel better about it. That's what I try to tell myself when I feel this way, anyhow.
November 4, 2009 | Unregistered Commentereliza
My cousin is pregnant with her 4th. She's on Medicaid, food stamps, the works, and doesn't care to get off them. Nor does she take advantage of the prenatal care to try to do anything, but gets healthy kids anyway.

I think I'm with Eliza on this one, you can control what you say or do, but the feelings - well, you're going to feel. If you didn't feel anything, I'd be more worried. You'll also likely get sometimes an overwhelming fear for safety of children, even random ones you see on the street or whatever. You'll also probably feel like snatching children out of parked cars or shopping baskets or something like that because how could the parents be that careless, don't they know what it would be like to lose that child? Someone in my class said she left her kid at the gas station today, and I literally had to bite my tongue. It wasn't funny. But there it is. Hang in there.
November 5, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterA