search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > I can't handle this today.

Where is the book that tells you how to keep parenting a 2 year old after you've lost a baby? I can't take this today, I can't do it. "Be patient & consistent, expect your child to test your limits." Can't do it, I'm already past my limits. I'm tired of feeling like a single mom too, with my husband either at work or asleep. I can't do this today. And yet, I don't want to call my mother and admit to her that I can't handle it. So I'm just going to vent here then I'll go try and tidy up the room before bathtime and get through the bedtime routine then I think I'm just going to go collapse. I know I should probably go see that grief counselor but it's an hour drive, my husband having to schedule off work so he can watch terrifying toddler which means in fact plopping him in front of the computer screen and playing a movie, not even getting dressed, changing diapers or making toilet attempts, and feeding him animal crackers and cheese all day. Plus what it costs in gasoline and her fee. Then me trying to get home and take care of everything that was completely ignored while I was gone.

Where's the **** "What to Expect" book for this?

June 29, 2008 | Unregistered CommenterKatherine

Katherine, ((hugs)) to you. It can be so hard. It IS so hard... though one day you will somehow end up on the other side and look back on this day when you cannot even breathe through yet another second.
I wish you could find more support around you... can your son go on a playdate at a friend's house for a couple of hours while you get some alone time, just to be?
Thinking of you... hang in there.

June 29, 2008 | Registered Commenterjanis

Boy do I know this. Same age. Same potty disasters. Wishing I could curl up in bed.

The best you can do is get through it. But if you can't, if you seriously can't and your two-year old is left by himself in your house where he could potentially find some trouble, do please call someone, or see about antidepressants (which helped me get up and function in the same situation).

I couldn't believe how big things (drunk driver creaming my fence) didn't phase me, but little things -- like a potty accident -- could drive me to tears in seconds. My patience was severely tested, and still on certain days, is still. Thinking of you.

There is obviously no book. Thought I would definitely pay for "What to expect when your baby dies."

June 30, 2008 | Registered Commentertash

Katherine, do you get along alright with your mother, all things considered? My thinking - unless there are other issues with her that make her cause more friction for you than relief, why not call her?

Many moms, I think, don't want to admit they need help. I don't want to feel like I rely on anyone but myself, and I don't want people in my family gossiping about how I am (or am not) coping. But if your family situation is relatively tolerable, please, please, please swallow that pride and call your mom, if she's handy to you. Let her swoop in and help you, as you'd want to help any child of your own. Let her cook for you and take the tasmanian devil away for some playtime. Communicate. Tell your husband what you need from him, even if it means bringing some issues to a head, or getting visibly pissed off.

After my baby died I had days where I'd just storm around, pissed off that everyone else wasn't psychic. It's never a bad thing to drag yourself up to the rooftop and rally the troops - without minding one frigging bit how you might be perceived while doing it. Ask for help, or better put - give your family the opening they need to make a difference for you.

This all sounds terribly preachy but if I were your best friend, and if I were there with you right now seeing you tired and worn out and emotionally tapped and in need of a recharge, this is what I'd say, with an arm around your shoulder.

As for the counselling and other steps like antidepressants, those are all valid paths... maybe start with a visit to your doctor, if he/she can recommend a course of action?

Hang in there katherine. It's so hard, and the way you feel is totally, completely normal... I hope you know that.

June 30, 2008 | Unregistered Commenterkate

Yeah, speaking of complicating issues by assuming everyone's psychic -

The main reason I can't call on my mother right now is because my brother is deploying to Iraq. She's completely haywire herself. I feel terrible that I can't be there emotionally for her, the best I can do is try not to overburden her right now.

I think really posting on here is doing me as much good as anything else, much of my difficulty stems from the fact that I work from home and am very isolated, everything is based from a church in this town and I've still not been able to talk myself into faking a religion (I could do it, I used to, till I decided it was disrespectful to those who did believe in that particular deity as a specific entity) just for the "perks" of having a connection to community. It's one of those grand gestures to ethics and morality that is constantly attacking me like a pit bull.

My best friend, the one I met in 6th grade and went through thick and thin with, writing across the country since both of our fathers were in the Air Force? She's due in I believe 2 months. I haven't been able to talk to her since, even though I know she's had two miscarriages, I just don't want to add my uncertainty to hers at this moment.

So sparing others isn't helping, I suppose.

But maybe it is time for me to try and get things opened up with my husband. I've given him a lot of space, I need some of the space to be filled now.

June 30, 2008 | Unregistered CommenterKatherine

I can see why you're feeling like you need to tread carefully. That must be incredibly emotional for your mom...

I hear you about working from home - so do I, on top of living in a rural area. It adds isolation on top of isolation, doesn't it? It's such a blessing but it can be tough.

Good on you for opening the lines of communication with your husband.... even if it's a bit messy at first, I think it's the right thing to do...
xo

July 1, 2008 | Registered Commenterglow in the woods

Ok, I am just going to say this. Days like that (though mine was a very mature almost 5 year old) it turned out the best I could do for myself is get a strong drink after she'd gone to bed. It made it easier to think, to write, or to talk, or even to do nothing. Just enough that the next day I was able to get up and do it all again.
Obviously, if you know or have reason to believe that you are or may be addicted to alcohol, this is a terrible idea. But if you are not, I think that in the days when you need help letting go this is not a bad thing to do.
And I do hope opening up communication with your husband goes well and does both of you some good. It's important and it is usually helpful. Best of luck to you on this.

July 1, 2008 | Registered Commenterjulia

Well, since I worked for a true drunk (talking hiding airline size bottles of liquor under the desk, stumbling in smelling like a vineyard drunk) I've been off the sauce, though I've never shown any inclination towards alcoholism whatsoever. I do cook with red or white wine, and bratwurst in beer and the like, it just has been repulsive in a glass. But it is a depressant/relaxant, maybe it would help me get some sleep at an appropriate time, which is still the biggest issue going. A lot of why I'm losing my cool is just tiredness, I think. Today was better, it's my husband's day off and he really stepped up, he made way too many waffles for breakfast but hey, a man who cooks, let's not get persnickety over portion sizes - he's doing bathtime right now, and got the boy to take a nap, so a lot of load off me today, I could deal with work calls and things without a toddler hanging onto me and hollering the whole time. Plus I did go speak with actually the child life guy at the hospital, they don't have an official grief counselor but he was kind enough to try and help me, he was the one who had made the casts for us, he gave me a journal which has writing prompts which at least is something to get me going.

July 2, 2008 | Unregistered CommenterKatherine

That's great, Katherine, that's a solid start. And I second Julia's point about one or a few glasses of wine (or rum...) It's something to be careful of, but it sure does help me to unwind.

July 4, 2008 | Registered Commenterglow in the woods