search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Missed miscarriage and feeling hopeless

I found out we lost our baby. We came in for an eight week ultrasound and no heartbeat was detected. My doctor wants me to just wait and let nature take its course. I’m 35, have had one successful birth and one other miscarriage. I feel like dreams of having a large family died with my baby. I could use some hope.
May 4, 2023 | Unregistered CommenterMary
I'm right there with you. I just turned 37, I have a 5 year old, and had the same experience at my 8 week check up. It's been almost 6 months and the grief comes in waves. Some weeks I'm fine, and other weeks I feel as if all hope is gone. I think my biggest mistake was thinking that if I felt better one week, that must mean the grieving is coming to an end and I would start feeling 'all better' soon. But it just doesn't work like that. Overall, I do feel more at peace with it. I had to let go of thinking there was an upward slope I would climb until I got to the top and then everything would be better. I had to accept that this loss will always be a part of me.
We plan on trying again once we move at the end of summer. But for 4 months, I didn't think I would ever want to try again. I felt all was lost and I couldn't bear losing again. But with time, I've come to realize I'm not ready to give up hope for a bigger family. I hope you find some hope soon too. No matter what you hope for.
May 31, 2023 | Unregistered CommenterAmanda