search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > My little Rosie

I’m struggling as I write this. In January of 2022, I found out I was pregnant with identical twin girls. We quickly named them Iris and Rosie. At 16weeks we found out they had twin to twin transfusion syndrome. I was given three options: terminate one or both, wait and see, or Fetalscopic laser surgery with a 70% chance for one baby and a 40% chance for both. We opted for the surgery and two days after diagnosis I went in for the procedure. It’s conducted similar to a c-section. I was given an epidural and they made a small incision and used a laser to sever the blood vessels the girls shared to even out the blood supply. Near the end of the surgery Rosie’s heartbeat began to drop. I listened to the nurse report as it got slower and slower. They told me at the end of the surgery she likely wouldn’t make it. Three hours later they did a follow up ultrasound and she had passed. I can’t help but wonder if I made the right decision. Should I have waited and been monitored so hopefully they got a big bigger and stronger? Should I have gone out of state to a more researched hospital praised for their work in this field? I had to carry her the reminder of my pregnancy until her sister was born at 36weeks. The first few weeks after surgery I had follow up ultrasounds and had to see her little body on the screen as they checked over her twin. In the end, little Rosie was completely reabsorbed and I never got to hold her. Now I struggle with fear to put my surviving twin to sleep each night, terrified something will happen to her too.
January 29, 2023 | Unregistered CommenterCarolyn
This is terribly sad. I’m sorry for the loss of your little Rosie. What beautiful names. What a hard road you have been on. Sending you love- I can only imagine how complex it must feel.
January 31, 2023 | Unregistered CommenterJH