search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Sad I can’t share how happy I was

What feels even more lonely than the miscarriage and loss itself is the feeling like I can’t talk about it. I have only told a few people, and each of them had a really hard time. Me talking about my experience has triggered them. I’m not angry about their reactions; I do understand that many people haven’t had a chance to properly grieve or heal from their own miscarriages or losses or longings (one person I told has kids and step kids already, but was longing to add to their family through a baby of their own or adoption. I had no idea that they were going through that when I told them about my miscarriage). Because I can’t talk about it, I also don’t get an opportunity to share the good things for which I am grateful: I got pregnant, after months of trying. I don’t take that lightly; I know that unfortunately many try but don’t get that experience. And I don’t get to share how the pregnancy made me feel: I was so happy; I felt like my baby was pure joy and light and love. I am so honored to have had the experience, even if it was short-lived (I miscarried at 6 weeks). Not being able to share the joy and wonder I experienced feels like a loss all on its own, and I am grieving it parallel to grieving the loss of my baby that would have been due in the 3rd week of July 2023. Does anyone else feel sad not being able to talk about it?
December 29, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterK
Thank you, K.
Yes, I do. I am so sad not to be able to share my experience, this second time around...sadly.
There are people who do no understand or are not really interested...or focus the attention on themselves, in some way.
There are friends with babies who experienced loss but do not want to hear about it...
It is so isolating and sad. I know...

Sending you hope and love. We are in this together.
January 4, 2023 | Unregistered CommenterSara