search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > I Want My Baby to Have a Name

We lost our baby on Friday, 10/28. I was 6 weeks along. I feel like I've been through hell, just trying to keep breathing and reminding myself that I'm still alive, even though I feel dead inside.

Someone suggested to me that we name our baby. I think it would be a good way for my to grieve and process the loss. My husband, on the other hand, is adamantly opposed. He says that giving the baby a name will be too hard and "make him more attached." I said I was fine with naming the baby on my own so that I could grieve; I just wanted to offer him the opportunity to help name the baby if he wanted. He said that he's super uncomfortable with the idea and he doesn't want me naming our first child without him. It's lead to a huge fight.

Has anyone else gone through this? How do you get your husband to understand that it was still a baby, even though he doesn't feel like a dad yet?
November 1, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterL.
I am deeply sorry for your loss and what you have to endure, L.
In my experience, I can say we (me and my husband) live two different kind of grief. I named my baby in my mind, I talk to her and I am very sensitive about all the experience of our loss. He is apparently more shallow about it...he surely suffers in his own way, but I don't think he felt the connection I had with the baby. My humble suggestion is: if you think naming your baby might make you feel better, do it, even on your own. I don't think complicated or unresolved grief might come from naming a baby.
Just do what can bring you comfort.

I am sending you a big hug,
Sara
November 2, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterSara