search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > A survivor remembers his brother

I've been having a particularly hard month missing my beautiful boy. He passed shortly after birth but his twin survived. I still cringe around anything twin, but my surviving son (preschool age) was watching a show that referenced twins. I wanted to turn it off, but instead I asked him "Did you know you were a twin?"

He said: "Yes"

"Do you remember his name?"

"Theo"

"Do you know where he is?"

He looked up pointing "In heaven."

My heart just stopped. His brother knows his name, said his name, and can think of him. I miss him so dearly, but to have him remembered by his surviving twin so young - and someone other than me or my husband - means more to me than I realized it would. I will occasionally read him books about it or show him a picture, but try not to talk too much about what happened. I can't believe he listened.

I just wanted to share with others who would understand. Thank you all for being there.
September 5, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterT's Mom
That’s so sweet T’s mom. Your living twin sounds like a wonderful brother who misses Theo with you. Sending peace mama.
September 7, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterAB