search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Unexpected pregnancy —-> Unexpected Miscarriage 7 weeks

Hi everyone, I came here in search of support after going through some thing really tough. I recently stopped taking my birth control regularly after getting tired of taking it for almost 6 years consistently. I honestly did not think I would get pregnant so quickly and unexpectedly found out on March 10th that I was pregnant. At first, I was very frustrated with myself that I did not realize or process that pregnancy could be a very obvious consequence of not religiously taking birth control. Afterwards, I was honestly very excited and bought every book that I could and make sure my diet was healthy, drank a lot of milk, you get it. Unfortunately a few days ago I started to have discharge and really bad cramping. My husband and I really tried to be optimistic since some said they bled during pregnancy but these cramps were just a different type of pain. I don’t know what labor feels like but it felt like I was giving birth. I didn’t even make it to my first OB appointment yet because my insurance doesn’t kick in till next week so my first appointment is basically just going in to confirm the miscarriage.

I’m honestly overwhelmed with emotions but at the same time I feel really numb. In one part of my brain I’m thinking, OK you got your miscarriage out of the way since they seem to be very common. The other part of me is just sad because I had so many plans to surprise my family and friends and really changed my life plan according to what I found out two weeks ago and now I have to go back to normal like nothing happened and it’s really difficult. I’m trying to see the positives in the situation like that I’m grateful that I’m fertile but at the same time, I’m just really sad about the loss and came here for comfort :(.
March 25, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterYasmeen
Hi, Yasmeen. I'm not sure I can offer you any words of comfort, only that our experiences share the same timeline. I was unexpectedly pregnant and found out on March 14, and then at almost 7 weeks I had an unexpected miscarriage. There's no way to describe the sadness at all the things it feels like we will miss out on. Sharing the news, buying baby clothes, getting ultrasounds that aren't from the ER, even going to an OB. Take it one day at a time. You've made it this far, as have I, and I believe in us.
March 28, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterFelice
I’m in the same “boat”. My husband and I didn’t plan on having children, but found out mid March that we were pregnant. We had the typical reaction and then started getting excited. We had no problems everything was going well. Last Monday we went for an ultrasound and found out the baby didn’t have a heartbeat. I had to have an emergency D&C and I’m really struggling. We had told our parents and siblings as well as a few close friends. Now everyone looks at me like there is something wrong with me. Constantly asking how I am. I know they mean well, but it’s making it so much harder.
May 18, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterMeg
Meg, I am so sorry. I’m heartbroken for you and hope you are taking the time to heal and take care of yourself. I don’t know if this brings you any peace but I just found out I am pregnant again and gosh it is such an emotional roller coaster. I can’t help but be so anxious that the same thing is going to happen all over again. The physical, mental, and emotional pain is something I really can’t fathom making it through again. I’m sending you all the positive energy and prayers ♥️
May 19, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterYasmeen