search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Strange triggers

Today was sad. In 2015, I renewed my driver’s license. I was pregnant with my first. I remember thinking that day “oh when I come back he’ll be in kindergarten.” I remember what I was wearing , where I was walking, the weather conditions… He died a couple months later at 33 weeks.

January 2021 came and went, and I couldn’t go back. I couldn’t renew it again, get rid of that picture of me and revisit that day back in April of 2015 that I somehow remember so vividly… I just thought I’ll never renew it- I’ll drive illegally forever. If I renew it in some way he’ll be even more dead.

I got pulled over in August. The officer asked why I hadn’t renewed and I just started sobbing and he was compassionate and told me to renew it but I still didn’t. Today I finally did, more than a year past due. I had to re-take the drivers test and cried a lot but didn’t tell anyone why - they just thought I was upset and embarrassed . I can’t verbalize this to anyone. I’ll break down so much. No one will understand, so I’m saying it here. Remembering and missing Matthew extra today.
March 3, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterMatthew’s mom
Dear Matthew‘s mom
Your post reminded me how hard it is no matter how much time passes. You were really brave I just wanted to mark my respect for you. Thinking of Matthew and you.
March 3, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJana
Thank you so much for your kind reply Jana. ❤️
March 3, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterMatthew’s mom
I can completely understand what you mean. The things from "before" can be so triggering. I felt that way about my friend's house where I first found out I was pregnant with my daughter who I lost at 37 weeks. it's just hard for me to be there. Sometimes I wish there were no reminders, but that doesn't feel right either. Just so so hard. Sending you a hug.
March 3, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterMeg
I really, really get this, Matthew's mom. Sending a big hug.
March 8, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJen (GITW)
This brought tears to my eyes. I understand completely what you mean. Our "club" isn't a one any of us to be signed up to be in, but we're all supportive shoulders and I am grateful for this. Virtual hugs <3
March 8, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterAsh