search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > It‘s your fourth birthday Alicia

Dear Alicia
My sweet girl, it’s your fourth birthday, it has been four years since you said good bye. I have been crying a lot, having flashbacks, blaming your dad, blaming the whole world for not saving you, for not saving us from this. My heart bleeds but meeting your grave today was so peaceful, strange. I don’t want to let you go, I miss you so much every day. No one in the family will remember your birthday tomorrow, I know. But to me it all feels like yesterday the pain is wrenching. Love to you my sweet one, please forgive I never meant to hurt you xxx mum
October 17, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJana
Dear Jana,
My sweet girl turned 4 on October 13th. I too feel like it was just yesterday that she left us. My feelings are still raw, and I’m not sure that this will ever change. You didn’t hurt your sweet little girl, and I’m sure she knows how much you love her. Hugs mama!
October 18, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterStacy
Thinking of Alicia, and sending hugs. It's so hard
October 18, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterDevorah
Hi Jana, i lost my 7 week old recently due to SIDS. I miss him so much, nobody seems to understand how i am feeking. The emptiness, i cant stop thinking what if or if i had done this differently he would be here with me. If there are any words you can say to help me heal a little i would be ever so grateful. Happy Birthday to your little girl.
October 31, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterAyesha
Dear Stacy, Devorah, Ayesha

I am so grateful for your replies, thanks for remembering my girl with me.

Ayesha, I wish I knew what to say. At the beginning words did not reach me at all - it was a book of pictures of Art a mum in our situation had made that made me realise that there were really other women going through a very similar hell, the feelings resonated immediately. How can we ever survive such tragedies? We just do. What is your sons name? It helps me to actively remember my girl, I like to make presents for he, I write to her, light candles, visit her grave. And I come to this website to open my heart to people who understand. For this is a cursed land, a place only those know who had to wander it. Most important: don’t blame yourself. This is not your fault you have not done anything to deserve this, you could not have done anything differently. It’s fucking bad luck. In my opinion. It’s alright to be angry. Don’t give up. Would you like to share your story, your thoughts and memories with us? We can carry this together. Love to you mama, greetings to your little one.
November 9, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJana