search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Finally his funeral

It has been 6 weeks since my little boy suddenly passed away. We got word yesterday that his body is finally being released and we can finally have his funeral. I don’t know how I feel about it, I just want him laid to rest but at the same time it’s like I’m losing him all over again. I’m so lost without him and don’t feel I will ever be genuinely happy again. My 5 year old is the only reason I get up every morning and carry on. How do you all do it. I don’t know how I’m ever going to feel anything but broken 😔
October 2, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterEmma
I am so sorry that you are in this, Emma.
Honestly, two years in I do not know how to do this, either. Sometimes, especially in the early months, making sure to drink enough water, to get some sleep, to eat once in a while and maybe to get out of bed is all one can manage to do - and that is okay.

Wishing you all the strength for your son's funeral.
October 2, 2021 | Unregistered Commenterand L, too.
Thinking of you Emma. The funeral really is something new to grieve. As L said, the only way to get through it is to focus on the little things.

It’s an enormous burden to grieve a baby. I’m 1 year out from my first son’s death and I’m learning to carry it day by day. Sending you hugs.
October 5, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterS
Sending you love Emma. I lost my daughter 6 months ago and I've learned that I never know what the day will bring. Some days are okay and I almost feel something resembling normalcy while others feel like i'm drowning. But I try to take solace in the fact that the waves tend to recede. Thinking of you and your son.
October 6, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMeg
Hi Emma,

That's so sad about your child, what a horrible loss, I'm really sorry.
My baby died too, one year ago. The autopsy was painfully long, also 6 weeks before we got her body back. We didn't have a funeral exactly but my husband and I buried her ashes in our garden and it hurt like crazy but did have some healing to it.
Hope your funeral goes as well as it can and that he can RIP.
October 11, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterM