search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Losing Wednesday

We lost our son Paris 3.5 years ago. And I was doing ok. Yesterday we got the news of a failed adoption, a child we are calling Wednesday. I have so many feelings. I can’t help but wonder if we will ever have a child to call ours. I can’t carry another pregnancy after an emergency hysterectomy at P’s birth, due to a number of issues we are being prohibited from adopting and we don’t have money to pursue a surrogate. I just feel at a loss. It brings up all these old feelings and I wonder if I’ll ever get to be a mother.
September 2, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterAlisha
Alisha—that all sounds unbearably hard. I am sorry to hear about Paris and Wednesday. There are no words to make this better. I just wanted to say I hear you. Sending peace to you.
September 7, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterAB
Hi Alisha, I read your post a couple of days ago. I wasn’t sure what to reply then, and I’m still not sure I have the words. What a devastating position to be in. There are so many ways that loss can appear in our lives. You are so brave to try for adoption, which I know is a difficult process in itself. Even though I also have no living children, I’m not even sure I can bring myself to try. I just want you to know that I have been keeping you in my thoughts.
September 10, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterS.O