search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Happy Birthday

Melanie is 8 years old this year. I always come back to this place on her birthday. To feel the glow and grief. I remember those raw first days when my heart literally felt like it would stop at any moment. The pain of losing her was too great. Now I sit on my couch and think of the days I had with her. The movements and how she responded to her dad. Thinks look different this year, I am separated from my husband and living on my own. I know I made the right choice but it still hurts, he is the only one who gets it. So I’ll keep sitting on my couch, looking at pictures of my little girl, and embracing the silence. It hurts, but there is finally space for other things. A future.
June 30, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMellyBelly
Number 13 is coming up for our lost boy. I, too, return to GITW each year around this time. It helps to know I'm not alone. Love to you.
July 6, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJenny
Remembering Melanie with you, MellyBelly. And Jenny, your lost boy, too. We aren't alone here. Thank goodness.
July 10, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJen (GITW)
Happy Birthday to your sweet Melanie.
We are coming up on 7 years this week.
July 25, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterEm
Thinking of you and so hoping that this place provides comfort
August 4, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJulia