search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > The years pass and it gets worse

My son was stillborn in 2016 and my daughter died at 6 days old in 2017. It doesn’t seem to get much easier to cope with.

The feelings have changed (I am now consumed by anger rather than sadness) but the intensity feels burning hot. I think I’m becoming bitter but when I tried therapy a few times, it didn’t seem to help.

I feel stuck and the world constantly triggers me. I don’t really know what to do.
June 26, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterHannah
Hi Hannah, I think it’s normal to be bitter and angry. What happened to you is a horrible trauma. I am just writing to say I am thinking of you and sorry for what you’ve been through. I wish your babies were here with you and you weren’t suffering so. I lost my daughter in 2015. She would have been six the day you wrote your post, yesterday. Very few people Contacted me and that’s okay because it’s long over for them. The pain is always there. However I have better control of it and it’s softer most of the time. I am just sending you a hug. Also just wanted to share it took me two years, two different therapists, and a support group to cope. Don’t give up. Don’t let love take you down. Sending a hug and healing.
June 27, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterKim
I'm thinking of you Hannah and sending love.

Meg
July 3, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterMeg
Hi Hannah,

This is the first time in a while that I’ve been back on the site and I came across your post. I lost my son shortly after he was born in 2014 after a 39-week pregnancy. Like you mentioned, I have also been dealing with a lot of things that seem to have triggered my grief lately (more than usual). I have learned to manage and cope over these past 7 years but still have triggers that bring me right back to that day. What helps me is to allow myself to accept that there will be bad hours, days, even weeks at a time but allow yourself to feel all the emotions. I find that talking it out (even if it is just to myself) helps. Therapy and support groups help a lot of people with the trauma but there is no one solution. Although many years have gone by, I understand how that giant wave of grief can come crashing back and that no one else can understand it unless they have experienced it. It can seem as though everyone around us thinks we’re okay and back to normal but there is no normal with our experiences. The pain never goes away but our little ones will alway be a part of us.

There is nothing I can say to take the pain away but please know I am here and sending you hugs. Take it one day -one hour- at a time.
July 7, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJennifer