search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Returning to work

I’m returning to work March first. I left in late July last year after learning my daughters diagnosis. I am absolutely dreading it! I feel embarrassed, overwhelmed and anxious about going back. I get physically sick if I think about having to deal with everyone. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cope? I should still be on maternity leave and instead I have to go back early 😢
January 18, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterBunmum
I'm so so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. Returning to work was one of the hardest moments for me, and after returning it took a lot of courage to go back day after day. Some of the best advice I received was to be clear about how I wanted to be treated with people, whether I wanted people to talk to me about my loss, my family, or if I wanted to keep it strictly out of conversation. This can be communicated through you or a manager/supervisor/ or a good work friend if that's an option. People are very weird about knowing or not knowing what to say so giving them guidance might be important. I remember some people would just avert their eyes when they walked past me, and some would hug me and chat and let me get teary with them. Something else that was helpful advice for me was to let manager/supervisor know that there may be times I need to leave meetings or just leave work without notice for the first few months. I hope this transition goes okay for you- we are here, walking alongside you <3
January 19, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterAllison
Please know that my heart goes out to you. Returning to work after the loss of a baby is very hard. I am a school teacher and I remember how hard it was to go back to work in the fall when I should have been on maternity leave. I used to cry in the car on the way to/from. My boss told the teachers about my loss ahead of time which was helpful, and my students knew because the sub had told them, but there were still other students and staff who did not know. The worst for me was people asking about the baby and having to deliver the bad news again and again. Thinking of you and your sweet girl. Sending love as you return to work.
February 5, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterEm
Hi Bunmum. I'm sorry you're experiencing this, and especially sorry for the loss of your daughter. Returning to work is a topic that has been discussed a bunch in these forums over the years and there is SO MUCH really helpful advice back there. If you haven't already, I'd recommend just scrolling through the older forum threads. Wishing you all the best when March comes.
February 9, 2021 | Unregistered CommenterJen (GITW)