search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > NYT article about grieving without faith

This NYT opinion about a woman whose son died of SIDS and who is grieving without faith spoke to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/opinion/sunday/life-after-death.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
June 1, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterAB
I am a Christian Orthodox and I can understand her struggle to understand why such a terrible terrible thing like losing your baby can happen. We lost our twin baby girls in December. It hasnt been easy to keep believing in God I have to admit and there are times that I do question His actions (a lot!) but what I do know is that my girls are in heaven and even though it hurts tremendously to say that they do are in heaven playing with the angels. It hurts that they are not here with us, it hurts that we struggled so much to have them but they were taken so early from us. Despite my heartache and missing them so so much I find comfort (not aways I have to admit) in knowing that they are in heaven and God takes care of them until we meet again.

I dont know why God lets so much heartache to take place, I dont know why some people have to endure such a tragic loss but what I do know is that belief is a choice. God gaves us that choice. He doesnt force anyone to believe in Him. Believing is a choice and that woman chose not to believe anymore. I just wish God let no other baby leave this earth so very soon and no other mama suffers like we do.
I was raised Catholic and chose not to get confirmed in my teens: am now something like agnostic/pagan as an adult. I remember reading a passage in the Bible many years ago that said "faith is a gift." I believe faith is a gift and I don't believe it's a choice. There have been times, such as when our baby died, or a few years ago when I had to undergo a life threatening operation, that I really wished I had a more concrete vision of the divine but it is quite difficult to just decide to convince oneself of something when ones heart and mind are really saying something else. Regardless, we all have many different relationships with the unknown and this diversity should be celebrated and respected.
June 4, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterEm
Actually just read the article after my post. I found it beautiful. Thanks for sharing, AB.
June 4, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterEm