search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Fibrinogen deficiency - Placental abruption

Hi everyone,
I was just looking to find anyone with a similar experience. I lost my little girl Molly at 28 weeks 14 weeks ago. I had a pain in my bump that I thought was just stretching/round ligament pain but went to hospital for what I thought would just be reassurance. When they found her heartbeat (which they struggled to do) it was too slow, they performed a c section straight away but she didn't survive the operation. The pain is, as you all sadly know, beyond anything I can explain. We had our results and it turns out I had a small Placental Abruption, which explains why I wasn't in extreme discomfort and didn't realise how serious it was. I will always wish my body has given me more of a sign and I would have got to hospital quicker, although the doctor assures me that the outcome would likely have been the same, I will always wonder.

My story is similar to many I have read, but there is one bit that I can't find any other ladies that have experienced. I have been told that I may have an inherited blood disorder where I don't have enough fibrinogen, a clotting agent. It seems there was enough to not give me symptoms in day to day life, but that it may have impacted on the pregnancy. When I have looked at reports of pregnancy in this condition, they seem to end in miscarriage or Placental Abruption. They are running further tests, including genetic ones but the doctor seemed confident that they would come back positive. There is hope for another pregnancy, they can perform fibrinogen infusion although I am told this is not a simple process. My problem is I can only find information from medical journals, and not one bit of information from someone who has experienced this first hand, so I thought I would reach out here. It's probably a long shot, as these disorders are very rare.

Thank you for reading,
Jess x
April 25, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterJess
Hello Jess, I am sorry you find yourself here and without Molly. I lost my baby to other reasons. But maybe you can find some help here?
https://www.hemophilia.org/Community-Resources/Women-with-Bleeding-Disorders/Victory-for-Women-with-Blood-Disorders
April 25, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterErin
Hi Jess, I’m so sorry for your loss. I found out my daughter had died at my 28 week visit. It had apparently been a while and the autopsy/placental report showed a complete/concealed placental abruption. I remember I had a painful cramp once during that pregnancy but I didn’t think anything of it. The blood tests showed no clotting issues though in my subsequent pregnancy I was on baby aspirin the whole time. The MFM also said he thought it was possible that the abruption happened suddenly (that cramp?) but more likely it had been slow and continuous...I hope you get some answers and some good medical care too.
April 26, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterAB