search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Ashes

Maria-Rose's urn is on my bedside table. Its an elegant looking, very discreet urn that hasn't attracted much attention...until last night.
Christmas is here and consequently my brother is too. Therfore my 4 year old has been sleeping in my bed. So last night a friend and I went out, the babysitter came and did her thing but when I came home and looked in my bedroom, I saw her urn laying on my bed, dirtied with dried orange juice marks. An empty glass was nearby along with...a bit of ash.
I froze. Took a deep breath, told myself that theres no way it could be my daughters ashes, urns are sealed tight, right ?
Well in fact this one isn't. I shook it a bit and tipped it up and sure enough there is a gap in the seal.
I am so mad at the funeral company. Is this a mistake that can be rectified ?
I know i should have it up high where little hands cant reach but I just cant bring myself to remove her from my immediate surroundings. She would be a 5 month old baby and would sleep next to me not on a high shelf.
Just needed to vent.
Does anyone else have a close attachement to their baby's urn ?
December 21, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterMachaela
I don't know if there's anything that the funeral home can do, but I would absolutely be distraught if that happened to our baby's urn. I have to fight the urge to take her with me from room to room, so I completely understand. I am so sorry this happened, and I am so sorry for the loss of Maria-Rose. Hugs to you.
December 23, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterCB
Hi. I am four and a half years out and I have his ashes on a shelf in our home. I have thought them to be the only possession I would try to grab in the event of a house fire. He was gone five months when we had to move because the house we were renting sold, We were staying a night at the new house to come back to the old one the next day for most of our things. I made sure to take his ashes with us because I felt like I didn't want to leave him alone.
Even before that, shortly after he died, his ashes wouldn't all fit into the baby urn the funeral guy sold us so the guy ended up putting some into a second urn (free of charge) and then there were still some that remained so the guy had the nerve to put them in a plastic bag (I kid you not). Later. I emptied the bag into a small jar but I did it outside by a tree so that the ashes that missed could be there and I kept the bag in my son's memory box because no doubt some of the ashes are on the bag. Ahh well. . . . . .We are still renters but when we build our forever home I want to put his ashes and mementos in a special space built into the wall. I don't really want to spread the ashes, maybe someday that will change, but I really want his remains to be near to us.
Thought I would share this with you because not all of my son's ashes were returned to me in the way that I thought appropriate and I can understand being upset by seeing some of your daughter's ashes on your bed.
Love to you,
January 5, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterEm