search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > How to respond

How do you respond when someone who doesn't follow you on social media or doesn't know you well enough to know the situation asks "How's the baby?" I want to respond by saying "fuck you" but I have to tell myself that they don't know and if they did they would never ask such a question. I had two people ask this within one hour today at work. One man asked me while he sat at a table full of people. They all looked towards me waiting for my response. I still don't have my answer down pat. I fumble on my works and hardly know what to say. It's only been a little over 11 weeks since I gave birth to my stillborn son at 34 weeks pregnant. This question will never get any easier and I will probably always fumble over those words "I lost him".
August 27, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterB
OH my gosh! I say "fuck you" to myself every time someone asks how I'm doing (really stupid question). I live in a smaller town where everyone knows everyone's business although one time when I was at the grocery store, a relative of a old classmate I had asked me how the baby was doing. It took every ounce of me to even answer the question. I literally wanted to run him over with my cart. I simply said "he died shortly after birth" and walked away. I had nothing else to say. I suppose I could have given him more of an answer, but I really didn't want to. Many times when someone asks "how are you feeling" I just simply nod because I literally have no words. They could also take the nod to mean anything they want it to. Maybe that's how I should have responded when asked " how the baby is"
August 27, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterGabriel's mom