search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Visitation Dreams

Hi There,

Over the years, I have occassionally had dreams (as opposed to nightmares) about my daughter - she died at birth 7 years ago. I find that she appears in my dreams in chronological age, so very shortly after losing her she would be a baby, but now she appears as a 7 year old. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it is a pleasant, reassuring dream and I wake up with a feeling of comfort and peace. Whilst I try not to impose too much of a religious, spiritual or scientific interpretation on these types of dreams, I believe they are commonly referred to as 'Visitation Dreams'.

Does anyone else here experience these types of dreams? Is this a common thing to happen with babyloss? I would be interested in other people's thoughts, feelings or experiences of this.

Many Thanks,

Mango x
April 8, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterMango Mummy
I’m less than a year out from our daughters stillbirth at term but reading your words is so comforting... I haven’t had dreams like this but long to so badly! I’ll stay hopeful and keep you posted.
April 8, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterAM
I just currently lost my son D'Andre he was a stillborn baby 3/3/18 I was 30 weeks and 1 day pregnant.Just two weeks ago I took a nap with my 11 month old daughter and I had a dream with my son.The only thing is that I don't remember what the dream was about but I do know it waa about him because I could hear him saying"mommy" and I remember calling out for him and would hear "Mommy" I woke up crying an in a way I was relief I had dreamed with him.Last week I had a dream that I was holding a baby but I couldn't see babies face.
April 9, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterBaby D'Andre
Hi Baby D'Andre,

I'm so sorry for the recent loss of your son D'Andre. Yes, I remember getting dreams like this of my daughter Rose within that first year after losing her at birth. I think I expected to just have nightmares of dead babies, so I was comforted, but also slightly confused, by these occasional reassuring dreams where she appeared as a baby and I suddenly realised she was still alive. I'd look at her or she'd smile at me and then she would disappear again. I also find that sometimes in these dreams I'm not always sure who the child is or her name, but there is usually some give away characteristic that makes me realise it is my daughter.

Although not many replies here about it, I met another babyloss mums recently who said she's had a similar dream shortly after her loss. Looks like you either get them or you don't. Don't really care if it's my brain trying to fill in the gaps, I still say hello and thank you when I wake up from them. Now that I am further down the years with my babyloss, I can go for a year or two with nothing, before the next appearance. The last one I had was around the time of her birthday, so I guess it makes sense that it may more likely happen then, when I'm talking or thinking about her more intensely than usual.

Mango x
April 18, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterMango Mummy
Hi There,

Recently found an article from the front page about these types of dreams, so here's the link if your interested:

http://www.glowinthewoods.com/blog/2012/6/18/zoe-reimagined.html

Mango x
May 28, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterMango Mummy