search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Grief like the sea

I came across a few quotes and poems that resonate with me in my grief...thought I would share. Sometimes it's tough for me to really articulate how I'm feeling to my husband and others who are trying to support me in any way they can. It's easier for me to just hand my phone to my husband and say 'this is exactly how I'm feeling this month....and I think it will get better but right now this is how I feel." Then he can say ok, hug me, accept it, and hopefully understand, a little better, where I'm at in my grief. That some minutes (yes, still dealing in minutes) I feel "OK" and some minutes I am suffocated by my sadness and the loss of our daughter, before we even had the chance to know her.

The Sea by Tessa Wilkinson

The Sea is such a fickle thing
One minute smooth and calm
Blue and tranquil
The next rough and raging
Tossing anything in its path up in the air
Throwing it where it will
So like grief
One minute we feel calm
'Today I am all right'
'Today I will not be battered and tossed about not knowing where or who I am'
Then we see something
Or hear something
Or smell something
Quite out of the blue
And the wall of grief that we thought we had turned from
picks us up and tosses us here and there
Until we land exhausted back on the shore

"Not until you've lost a child do you know how it feels to be sad every single day...even when you experience joy."
-Unknown

"The reality is that you will grieve forever.
You will not 'get over' the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it.
You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered.
You will be whole again but you will never be the same.
Nor should you be the same nor would you want to."

-Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
July 11, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAKM
I am so so sorry for your loss ..I truly understand your pain ..I do..
Scroll though my post 30 days of paradise and m sure it will
Give you comfort and trust I do feel your pain...
Lots of love xx
July 11, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterMum Divya
AKM, thank you for sharing these beautiful poems and quotes. They truly resonated with me.

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope those lovely pieces of writing brought you a bit of comfort today.
July 11, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterNada
Thank you for sharing these, I too have trouble conveying how I feel sometimes. I love the analogy of grief and the sea, it truly is perfect. Sorry for your loss.
July 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterCristiane