search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > May 12, One Year Later

Here we are exactly one year after our baby Lucas was born, and died one hour later. It's an artificial date, since we chose to deliver him today, but it still sucks an incredible amount.

Felt the need to share. I know most people in my life won't remember.
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAbby
Sending you hugs and love today. Your son, your Lucas, is in my heart. As are you. xo
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterMelissa
It's a tremendously important day even if the delivery was induced - it's the day he was born, the day you gave birth. The day you saw him. There is nothing artificial about the experience, and nothing unusual in the fact that the date has meaning.

It's very hard that others don't understand this, isn't it?

Most moms in our situation find it helpful to have a small activity in memory of their child, which they share with a few close people. I wasn't vocal enough to have support in this on my daughter's first anniversary or birth and death, and I felt incredibly alone. But for the next one, I think I would like to plant something, or buy something for the house (something small and pretty and decorative, perhaps), or have a walk with her dad, with the understanding that the purpose of the activity is remembering her.

I'm wishing you as peaceful a day as possible.
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAna
Abby, you and your son, Lucas, are in my thoughts today. Wishing you a gentle peace on this day. Sending lots of hugs your way.
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJenna
Dear Abby,
Lucas is remembered in this day, his first birthday! Much love and hugs to you...
Marta
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterMarta
Sending lots of love to little Lucas, and to his Mom x
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterCristiane
Remembering your Lucas with you today. and missing him with you too. Lots of love mama.
May 12, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAB
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and words. It really means a lot.
May 13, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterAbby
Lucas is and always will be remembered. He is loved and missed by you.
Thinking of you all xx
May 13, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterKE
Hugs to you
May 14, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterStill0517
I wish your boy was here on earth with you. Thinking of you all and your sweet Lucas.
May 15, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterKim
I know I'm a few days late but, Happy Birthday, Lucas!
And lots of love to you, Abby.
May 17, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterEm