search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Post-Miscarriage Health Crisis: Others?

This is my first visit to and my first post to this site. I was referred by a couple of lovely ladies in a support group I just joined. I need some help and advice from women who may have experienced what I am currently going through.

I had a miscarriage at six weeks on January 28th. I could talk a lot about this but I'm going to try and focus on my intention for this post. Since losing the baby I have experienced quite a few health issues that may or may not be related, but I am anxious to know if anyone else found their health compromised post-loss.

I did not have a D&C and completed the miscarriage naturally. Took exactly two weeks. Here is what's happened since:

- severe muscle weakness and strain (first core abdominal, then left hip/groin, now left shoulder and pectoral)
- severe digestive pain, like my stomach and intestines were being filled with concrete (doctor attributes to IBS, currently medicated with Bentyl)
- continual traveling cold sensation and numbness through left thigh, left arm, and left side of my face (MRI scheduled for Saturday)

I have had a CT scan, ultrasound, and x-rays that all came back 100% normal. I am now seeing a chiropractor as well as a physical therapist. I was already a person who dealt with anxiety issues. I also have a really good immune system and am rarely sick. These two things combined are leaving me in a very vulnerable state. No one has been able to figure out what's wrong with me. My mind entertains ideas that I must have MS, or cancer, or I'm having a stroke, or when I go to bed at night I'll die in my sleep. My primary care physician temporarily has me on Klonopin for the anxiety, but it's hard for me to take; I get so loopy...

Has anyone else been through anything similar after loss? Am I really sick? Is my stress, grief, and anxiety just manifesting itself physically? Am I just going crazy?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
March 21, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterSammy C
Sammy C, I'm so sorry you miscarried! And then all this trouble afterward just adds to the misery! Couple of points for you to think about, and you don't have to answers this, it is for you to mull over. But you can answer, it is all up to you. Was this a first pregnancy? There is a huge difference in a woman's body that has never been pregnant and one that has gone through the hormones and changes of a pregnancy. Also, each pregnancy is different and effects you differently. Second question, how is your cycle now? Are you back to normal with your menses? You were pregnant and now you are not. That means your body has gone through some serious hormones and changes. That you are having medical issues with the after effects doesn't seem to me to be abnormal at all. Some women breeze through a miscarriage. Some of us don't. Some have easy and wonderful pregnancies and some of us don't.

Briefly, my daughter died shortly after birth in 1991. I came here when a good friend's son was stillborn, following along with things she read so she could talk to me and I'd have a clue what she was referring to. I stayed, because. Because it is comforting to be able to talk about loss with other who know and because now I'm having grandchildren and having occasional hysterics watching my daughters go through their pregnancies.

I hope you can find some peace with your situation. We will listen, even if we can't do anything else.
March 21, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJill A.
I've had very little problems with psoriasis my whole life. I was born with it but after losing my son it has taken over my body, its so bad i got put to priority over a long waiting list for uvB. (healthy sunbeds) My skin condition is so bad that it just falls apart and it bleeds if i even accidentally brush against things. Even the wind hitting against me is agony. Its all due to stress apparently. I also suffer with anxiety and going in for multiple treatments a week scares me. Hours of bus travel, where people will also bring their newborns onto. Its scary but I hope all the best for your treatments.
March 22, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterA
Sammy, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't have any specific medical advice for you but I will share that I have also suffered a host of other medical issues following my miscarriages. My first pregnancy ended with a silent miscarriage. We found out at 13.5 weeks that our sweet baby no longer had a heart beat. I chose to medically induce the miscarriage rather than have a d&c, which turned out to cause more harm than good. And I ended up hemorrhaging and needing a d&c 6 weeks later anyway. Then 3 months after that, I lost our second baby at only 6 weeks along. Since then, I've had all sorts of GI problems, muscle weakness/aches and fatigue too... The second loss was 5 months ago and I'm still battling digestive issues in addition to depression and anxiety. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, as far as seeing the doctor and getting scans/treatment as needed. I really do think my physical symptoms are the result of my depression/anxiety. Im not a medical professional, but I do think you can take comfort in the fact that all those tests have been normal so far. But I understand how scary this all is. Sending good vibes your way. I hope you find healing soon.
April 2, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJo