search discussions

glow in the woods

front page
the archives
what is this place?
the contributors
comment policy
contact

Parents of lost babies and potential of all kinds: come here to share the technicolour, the vividness, the despair, the heart-broken-open, the compassion we learn for others, having been through this mess — and see it reflected back at you, acknowledged and understood.

Thanks to photographer Xin Li and to artist Stephanie Sicore for their respective illustrations and photos.

for one and all > Tattoo

Today, it's 2 years since I found out my daughter had died at 28 weeks. She was born early the next morning. Today, I got a tattoo with her name, Bean, and a little bean around it. I love it. Her dad is getting one too! I miss you my Bean. I love you.
June 12, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAB
What a lovely way to honor your beloved Bean! Hugs to you, Mama.
AB, that sounds wonderful. I love that you will forever have a permanent, visible reminder of your Bean. Sometimes I wish I could write my second-born's name on my forehead just so that everyone could ask me about it, so I could talk about it. I wonder if I will ever be brave enough for a tattoo.
June 13, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterEvie
Thanks Annabelle and Evie. I'd never had a tattoo before so it was a big step. Yes, I love that I have a visible, permanent mark on me to go with the invisible one...Evie, those first few months, I also wanted a big sign on my forehead...the tattoo didn't hurt much at all. It's on my left wrist and it just stung a bit. Many hugs to you!
June 14, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAB
So sweet!
I love the fact that you're both getting the same tattoo - she has united you forever and what a beautiful way to demonstrate your love for your beautiful little Bean.
June 17, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterMother to a Wild Rose
My Vinny passed away on 5/31 at 4 mo and 10 days. On what would have been his 5 mo birthday last week, I decided to get his named written on my foot. I went in there alone with just his picture in my hand. It was soo healing in a way. Strangers used to stop me in my tracks to tell me what a beautiful boy he was. I'm not good with small talk and opening conversation. He made it easy. The tattoo allows me also to feel like he's still hanging on me and when asked about it, I can tell that stranger what a beautiful boy he was and is. It's something I will never regret.
June 28, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterVincent's Mama
That's so beautiful Vincent's Mama, what a wonderful way to draw attention to your beautiful baby boy and share your memories with others.
June 29, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterMother to a Wild Rose